I chose Chojuro and Shinko Asian pear trees for the first guild that I designed to completion before doing any plantings, and have a fondness for them as the centerpiece within a prominent outdoor space in my backyard.
Common Name: Asian Pear
Scientific Name: Pyrus bretschneideris
Forest Garden Designing
- Plant Type: Medium-sized tree
- Plant Leaf Type: Deciduous
- Layer Use: Understory canopy
- Pollination: Cross-pollinator variety needed
- Flowering: May
- Leaf Shape: ovate
- Height: 10-25′
- Width: 8-12′
- USDA Hardiness Zone: 5-9
- Light: Full sun
- Shade: Tolerates moderate shade
- Moisture: Requires good drainage
- pH: 5.9-6.5
- Juglone sensitivity: known to be affected by juglone
Use root hormone with hardwood cuttings, taken about eight inches from the tip.
Prune to an open center, upside-down umbrella shape. Prune vigorous vertical shoots. Thin fruits a month after bloom, about six inches between each pear.